Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A day when nothing went right

So, on the eve of Diwali I realized that I had a string of holidays coming up. But the worst part was that I was unprepared for it. The point was that my holidays were coming when the rest of the world had already had its share. Multiple discussions with friends proved futile. So, I decided to live by each day.

First two days, I tried to help out mother with the household chores. Since I have returned, my mother has the complaint that I treat the home as a hostel. Which is an incomplete truth. So, the day was an ideal opportunity for me to earn some brownie points. But even after doing those chores, I had time in abundance with me. I watched Raj Kapoor's "Awaara". No comments on this one. Then some time was wasted watching the dead rubber of India-Australia test match.

But the worst was yesterday. It was just one of the days when everything did not go right. The day started with my Insurance adviser seeking the appointment. It was to be coupled with a date. The date apparently was getting a CT scan done. So, when I called her to confirm the time, she said her health permitting will meet up. I advised her to take rest (Like most nice guys do)& canceled it. I then decided to finish at least the insurance work. That was the only part of the day which went unhindered. Again before leaving to meet the insurance guy, we (me & my mother) had a heated argument -


Mother: What is the need for additional insurance?
Me: I dont think I am adequately insured?
Mother: What is that supposed to mean?
Me: Meaning if I happen to die.....
Mother: Sai Rammm...
Me: What?
Mother: What kind of thought is that?
Me: Isnt that a reality?
Mother: Doesnt mean it has to be spelt out?
Me: The whole idea is that I can be at peace in my afterlife, If I am sure that I left sufficient for my family.
Mother : And if you are not around, what are we supposed to do with that money you idiot....Anyways what kind of return are you getting?
Me: Its not an endowment policy, its a term plan. You get money only if I die else you dont.
Mother: What is the use of such a policy if there is no return?
Me: You just have to kill me then.
Mother: I dont understand, do whatever you want. Go to hell!!
Me: Definitely, but not before leaving you with loads on money.
Mother: You better get lost before I throw you out of the house.


Me and mother are like that only. We have always been at swords since my teenage days. Its like good and evil. Each is indispensable without the other. Its anybody's guess who the evil is. :-) This gives me a strange comforting feeling that my spouse might actually end up on the same side as my mother. War strategist will agree that one front is more easier to handle than two.

So, I met the Insurance Adviser. Just as I was signing the documents & we were discussing the nuances of what will happen in the event if my death, my head swung a little as I tried to imagine life without me. Sure, it will not make a difference to the world. But what about my family? All the Metlife, Tata AIG, HDFC & LIC advertisements started playing on my mind - "Zindagi ke saath bhi, Zindagi ke baad bhi." My perennially depressed friend Akash always says, "Trust me death is the only panacea to all depression. Zindagi hai tabhi dost,biwi,maa,baap hain. Maut ke baad to sab khatm hai dost!!" And I always snub him.

I called upon a friend to CP. As I was waiting for him, I was reminded of my days as an undergraduate running around CP. One of the most exhilarating fact was the discovery of the 12 pillars on "barakhamba road". Many people do not know that there are actually 12 pillars on which the road is named after. So, my friend arrived.


Mr. Ashwin Subramanium - An idealist to the core. Batchmate from Symbi. A hardcore environmentalist. Currently disillusioned with the whole concept of Carbon credits - his area of expertise these days. In one of my earlier blogs, I have clearly mentioned that this whole carbon thing is just a financially jugglery. If not contained today, it will burst in our face like the recent credit crisis. But am damn sure the fiasco will happen.


Sipping on a Cold chocolate, Ashwin suggested that we go to some Monument. The ones that he listed were all Mughal monuments. I dont know what went through my mind when I mentioned it to him. I rejected the idea & then we finally zeroed in on the idea of watching a play/ theatre. We had about 2 hours to while away before the play started. Over umpteen cups of tea and coffee both of us were unabashed in our criticism towards MBAs. But somehow throughout the discussion I was lost.


We reached the play well in time. But the play turned out to be one from amateurs. I am no expert on theatre, but given my limited exposure I can easily identify the follies. Even Ashwin could do it. That the play started one hour late only aggravated the agony. And on top of that we were being tormented by "play sympathizers", who clapped & laughed at anything that was not even remotely exciting. And so, in typical Gandhian way of non-violent protest we staged a "walk out". Nobody stopped us.


As we stepped out, the "Night crawler" called up. Night crawler is Mr. Shagun Somani. A workaholic & an alcoholic. He booked the tickets to the movie "Fashion". It had been a terrible day so far. Though it was a late night show, in the hope that the movie might redeem the day in some way, I gave it a go ahead. My mother gave me her peace of mind when I told her that I will be late.


Near the movie hall, we searched for a pub to catch a couple of beers. What we found was an ultra expensive restaurant. Desperation was the need of the hour for the company. Forced to gulp down an expensive foreign beer just made the whole experience of liquor quite distasteful.

The movie turned out to be another icing on the cake to an already depressing day. "Fashion" is a movie about "Sex and Gays". Terribly disappointing. I think what made the movie a drab was that the plot was fairly predictable & one-track. There was no attempt made to explore the sub plots within the fashion industry. There was the usual sleazy jokes on gays. And of course who could have ignored the skin show & the sex. Given the film maker's credentials, it was big let down. I prayed for the movie to end. But the climax never came. I waited and waited and waited...By the time the movie ended it was 2 am.

Now, The whole idea of driving back 30 kms was weighing down. I started my car & for some wierd reason, my car refused to be driven slowly. I had to speed. Each time I would slow it down, it would start to sputter & jerk. I kept thinking, if I die in a road accident today, I would curse myself in my afterlife for not having finished with the insurance formalities earlier. Though I was no Batman rushing to save the world from the "Joker", the speeding served my purpose of reaching home early. I reached home in half an hour. After the usual exchange of pleasenteries with my mother on coming late, I headed to my room.

As I retired to my bed, I thought back on the day. I thanked God for having created the night as a backup in case the day turned sour. As it did today, the night sleep was blissful.

No comments: