Friday, October 16, 2009

Conversations with a married man

Me: hmmm

MM: What Hmmm?

Me: Interesting...

MM: What?

Me: This state of yours... I am quite jealous actually..

MM: Ohh shut, stop rubbing salt on my wounds..

Me: No.. really... U get good food.. u know breakfast-lunch-dinner types, u hav a date on weekends.. permanent one that too...

MM: You just crossed over to being the dumbest person alive on earth...

Me: Well, where was I earlier?

MM: You were getting dumber, but now I just have to pronounce you as the dumbest..


Me: Thats a revelation.. but why this sudden realization of reality.. I thought you had a love marriage?

MM: Not exactly

Me: Oh.. Come on..

MM: Really.. we just knew that we would be able to tolerate each other....

Me: What are you saying??

MM: Yup.. most marriages happen that way...the "so-called" love marriages

Me: Elaborate

MM: Well, there are two kinds of people who get married...

Me: Ok.. and..

MM: The two ends of the spectrum basically.. the ones who have had lots of relationships and the ones who havent. The one's who have had lots of relationships, over time realise that the novelty part is missing, except the sex part.. and then they get bored of that as well....so, they decide.. look here is a woman/ man I know, she/he is nice company, tolerates my idiosynchrasies, lends me emotional support, acceptable to my parents, presentable before my friends, is fine with my dining habits..so lets go ahead with that..

Me: Isnt it a very emotional decision?? You are just putting it across as if you are buying a television.

MM: Not at all..kuchh emotion-vemotiona nahi hota yaar...all practicality

Me: What about valentine's day?

MM: WHAT??

Me: Nothing... what about the other types?

MM: Well, yeah... the losers basically.. like you..

Me: what do you mean?

MM: Lets be pragmatic about it... Have you ever been in a relationship?

Me: Once in school....

MM: Shut up, lets leave the puppy love out of it... so basically you have zero experience of anything thats got to do with a girl

Me: Excuse me, I have alot of friends who are females and...

MM: yeah yeah yeah.. you know guys like you are just "good" friends"... Tum log saale achhe dost bane reh jaate ho, aur kuchh ukhaad nahi paate....

Me: I think thats quite rude....(laughing myself on the fact).. go on...

MM: I do mean the physical intimacy, but basically you are never in the thick of things.. you know what I mean?

Me: Nopes..

MM: OK... You know like being involved with a person.. knowing her likes and dislikes.....the important dates, her friends, colleagues, relatives, when will she cry, what makes her laugh, what movies she likes....

Me: Stop stop stop.. u kidding me??

MM: Well, no.. but thats the way it is....am talking of relationship here and not merely screwing around...so, guys like you who have never tasted the forbidden fruit are quite excited on the whole prospect of having a 24 hr female company....

Me: yeah, may be. whats wrong with that? So, what if we long for it?

MM: Did I say that there is anything wrong with it? Point is after marriage, all these girls become wives, girlfriends become wives..and fiances become wives...

Me: And??

MM: Well, the whole scene changes for the guy..

Me: Doesnt it for the girl?

MM: It does, but I guess they are more prepared..

Me: Nonsense..

MM: Well, I see it from guy's perspectives. So, lets keep one end of the equation constant.... I feel claustrophobic from this constant scrutiny...

Me: What scrutiny?

MM: Who are you meeting? When will you come home? Did you pay those bills? Did you talk to my mother/ father? Can we have dinner outside? When will we go to our next holiday? Why are your parents here all the time? blah blah blah... basically they areplaying the 20 question game all the time...

Me: Dont you think these are all relevant questions?

MM: Well, they are, but they do strangulate you when they are asked daily from you..

Me: Is there a solution?

MM: Nopes, it is inevitable...

Me: What about the emotional security? Isnt that important in this stress these days?

MM: Thats a good point. It is a definitely a pillar.. but..

Me: But?

MM: you do get attracted to other women?

Me: I think thats fine.. attraction is natural and...

MM: I am talking of involvement..

Me: You are talking about infedility

MM: Its reality

Me: Nonsense.. I think thats prepostorous..

MM: Seriously.. I think its fine if it remains under wraps..

Me: What bullshit?

MM: its subjective..

Me: U out of your mind?... Its wrong for heaven's sake....

MM: Even if the woman is doing it?

Me: Of course. you can look at it, whichever way you want to.. its wrong all the way...

MM: Ha ha ha

Me: Why that laughter?

MM: Am just amused at your naivity.. Deepak, its happening all around you.. you cannot be an ostrich all the time...

Me: Well, I like being one and am happy about it.. Come on man... Whats the bloody difference between you and animals maan... think about your spouse for a second...

MM: yeah yeah.. dnt you think you need to chill out a bit..

Me: of course not.. this is utter nonsense.. you cannot be justifying your stance for everything that you do... I agree that you know under certain circumstances, you do feel attracted out of wedlock, but doesnt mean that it gives everybody that kind of license

MM: Who gives that license?

Me: I think one must make one's own decisions keeping everything in mind..

MM: What everything? You live your life once.. cant you live it to the maximum?

Me: Thats the most ridiculous justification MM, then might was well not get married..

MM: Exactly.. so, thats the point I wanted to make you udnerstand...all this while.. phewww.... no marriage.. no commitment... no confusion and the world's a happy place.....

Me: Ohhh.. yes.. so, it was all planned.. this entire conversation...

MM: Kind of.. I mean I liked your assumptions about me

(Laughter)

No comments: